Ho Chi Minh City’s Southern Women’s Museum has thousands of documents and artifacts honoring the beauty of Vietnamese women through the ages. This place has become one of the attractive destinations for tourists when visiting Saigon.
Location and ticket price
Address: No. 202 Vo Thi Sau Street, Ward 7, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City (only 2.6km from Ben Thanh Market);
Directions: If traveling by motorbike or car, visitors depart from the center of Ho Chi Minh City, follow the direction of Truong Chinh Street, turn into Cong Hoa Street, go straight to the end of Vo Thi Sau Street, then you will see the museum right on the side of the road.
If you take the bus, you can choose the routes that go through the museum: 04, 30, 54, 91, 150, 152;
Operation hours: 8:00 – 11:30 and 13:30 – 17:30 everyday
Ticket price: Free.
Information and history
The forerunner of the museum is the traditional house of Southern women, a place to display, educate and propagate the historical features of women’s traditional culture, organize traditional cultural exchanges and also national conferences.
– On March 8, 1986, the Southern Women’s Museum was started and officially started construction on May 18, 1990.
– On April 29, 1985, Ho Chi Minh City’s Southern Women’s Museum was built, with a total area of 5,410.5m2, including 6 galleries with different themes. The museum’s hall can accommodate up to 1000 people and the storage system is 700m2. Visit the Southern Women’s Museum
– Currently, Ho Chi Minh City’s Southern Women’s Museum is a place to display about 31,360 different artifacts, of which 930 are on display and 30,430 are in storage. In parallel with nearly 15,000 documents and films about science, including 2/3 artifacts related to war and 1/3 artifacts about traditional culture with all kinds of materials.
– The artifacts at the museum are divided into 24 collections with many different themes and materials, of which the most prominent are 6 rare and precious artifacts. Besides, there is also the museum’s library with more than 11,000 books about women. The destination of choice attracts foreign tourists.
Thematic rooms of Ho Chi Minh City’s Southern Women’s Museum include:
– The tradition of Vietnamese women before the Communist Party;
– Uncle Ho with Southern women and Southern women with Uncle Ho;
– The process of formation and development of the Vietnam Women’s Union;
– Southern women in national construction and defense since the day of national reunification;
– Southern women in the political struggle;
– Southern women in the armed forces;
– Southern women in diplomatic work;
– Southern women in colonial-imperial prisons;
– Beliefs to worship her;
– Costumes and jewelry of ethnic women in the South;
– Traditional hand weaving.
Read more: Vietnam History Museum in Ho Chi Minh City: The first museum in Ho Chi Minh City
New 3D Southern Women’s Museum
On October 9, 2020, the Southern Women’s Museum Board of Directors officially inaugurated the 3D gallery on the 2nd floor with an area of 400m2. The gallery applies high technology to retell historical stories and lessons most intuitively and vividly.
Notes when visiting the Museum of Southern Women in Ho Chi Minh City
Dress politely and neatly when visiting the museum.
Photography is possible at the museum but should be avoided in areas with prohibited signs.
Do not touch the objects on display in the museum.
You can hire a guide to introduce the museum to better understand it. The museum tour will be explained by the guide
Popular places near Southern Women’s Museum
Also known as the Reunification Palace, it was built during the French colonial period. This place is associated with historical landmarks of the French political apparatus in Saigon. Independence Palace is a place to visit for many tourists when coming to Saigon, to admire the country’s unique architecture and historical periods.
Nguyen Hue walking street
On weekends, Nguyen Hue walking street is an attractive place for young people to go sightseeing, enjoy food and perform. The street is also near the Bitexco Building – an ideal for sightseeing, entertainment and shopping.
Notre Dame Cathedral
This is a famous sightseeing place in Saigon built during the French period. Visiting Notre Dame Cathedral, visitors will admire the unique architecture and get the beautiful virtual spots to check-in. From the Southern Women’s Museum to Notre Dame Cathedral about 1.6km via Nam Ky Khoi Nghia Street.
Ben Thanh Market
Considered a symbol of Saigon tourism, a shopping paradise of all kinds of items from clothes, shoes, bags, cosmetics, souvenirs… In addition, Ben Thanh market is also a culinary paradise with special dishes for visitors to enjoy. Visiting Ben Thanh market, you can also live virtual super quality pictures as a souvenir.
Find out more about Ho Chi Minh city tours here: HO CHI MINH CITY NIGHTLIFE TOUR and HO CHI MINH CITY DAY TOUR
The best center Vietnam tour: Tour in Vietnam